Written By Gracie
I sometimes enjoy a night or two off meat and I believe that it’s good to give your digestive system a break from it every so often. I have come up with this extremely healthy, simple dish that is still full of protein (even though it is meat-free) and perfect for a mid-week meal, taking only 15 minutes to make.
Aduki Beans are amazing because they are high in nutrients but low in calories. They are full of fibre, vitamin B, iron, zinc and magnesium and help balance the metabolism so perfect for those wanting to lose weight. Cannellini beans are from Italy and have similar qualities to aduki. They are great for weight loss, help lower cholesterol, prevent heart disease and help remove unwanted toxins from the body.
* I like to have this dish on its own or poured over a bed of vegetables.
- 1x Red onion (finely chopped)
- 1x Red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1x Large garlic clove (crushed)
- 500g Passata
- 100ml water
- 2x Tsp Reduced salt vegetable bouillon powder
- 400g Aduki beans (used the canned ones)
- 400g Cannellini beans (use the canned ones)
- Handful of fresh basil (finely chopped & keeping some aside for garnishing)
- Juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- 2x Tsp Smoked paprika
- Generous pinch of Himalayan salt and black pepper
- 1 x Tbsp agave syrup (optional but makes a difference if you aren’t that keen on ultra healthy food. Use maple syrup if you don’t have agave).
Directions: (Serves 4)
1) Start by heating some olive oil in a pan and adding the onion. Fry until translucent.
2) Add the chilli and crushed garlic and fry for a further 1 minute
3) Add the passata, water and bouillon stock powder and mix.
4) Add the cannellini and aduki beans, along with the basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and agave syrup.
5) Serve into bowls and garnish with some fresh basil leaves.