Written By Gracie
When you’ve had a long stressful day the last thing you want to do is get home and start cooking. This tends to be the time that people ‘slip’ from eating fresh, good food, to grabbing a microwave meal or take away. Not only does this cost you $$, but it also costs your health.
This recipe is to show you that health doesn’t have to be expensive or take ages to prepare. My superfood salad takes 5 minutes and is so nutritious, filing, high in protein and detoxifying. It is also vegan, vegetarian, gluten and wheat free.
It is very zesty, which is why it’s so detoxifying, but not everyone can handle the sharpness. If your taste buds are slightly more sensitive just add a dash more honey.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
1x 400g can of chickpeas
1x lemon (all the juice)
1x garlic clove (crushed)
1x red pepper (finely chopped)
2x handfuls of kale (stalks removed and finely chopped)
2x tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1x tsp honey
1 tsp coconut oil
Pinch of pink Himalayan salt & black pepper
Pinch of smoked paprika (optional)
1) Wash the chickpeas and pour into a large bowl
2) Wash the kale, remove the stalks then chop it finely and put into the same bowl as the chickpeas.
3) Pour over the oil, lemon juice, honey and crushed garlic then mix everything together until all leaves are covered. Pop it in the fridge to cool.
4) In a pan melt the coconut oil and add the red pepper and pinch of smoked paprika. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
5) Once ready get the kale mix out of the fridge and pour the red pepper over. Season with salt and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly.
N.B. If you are really hungry this could be a good size for just one of you however it also works well as a side dish.