Written By Gracie
We visit Wales a lot and when I’m there I love to have a Welsh cake with a cup of tea! So, I thought I would try to come up with a healthy version of the traditional recipe. My recipe is vegan, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free…making them totally guilt free 🙂.
These little cakes are delicious hot or cold but my preferred is hot. If you are eating them the next day or once they have cooled down then try toasting them and enjoying them with jam, butter, honey, maple syrup, coconut syrup or on their own.
Ingredients: (Makes about 12-14)
- 1 x Cup of buckwheat flour (I used Rude Health sprouted buckwheat)
- 2 x Cup of ground almonds
- 1 x Cup of sultanas (washed in boiling water to remove any dirt)
- 1/2 x Cup of coconut sugar (I used Coconut Merchants coconut sugar)
- 1 x Tbsp Coconut oil (I used Coconut Merchants coconut oil)
- 1/2 x Cup of almond milk
- 1 x Tsp Baking powder
- 1 x Tsp Ground cinnamon
- Large pinch of nutmeg
NB. You will need coconut oil for frying as well as more ground almonds when making the mix into a round shape.
1) Pop all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together
2) Sprinkle some ground almond over a surface. Take a section of the mix (about a small gold ball size) and make it into a ball using the almond flour to stop it getting too sticky then pat down into the shape of a Welsh cake. Repeat this until you have used up all the mixture.
3) Heat some coconut oil in a large heavy pan and once hot place some of the cakes into the pan and fry on each side for about 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. You made need to do this a few times depending on many cakes can fit in your frying pan at one time. Place on a cooling rack and sprinkle over a little more coconut sugar.
4) Enjoy 🙂