Written By Gracie
This is my favourite soup of all time. I have been making it for years and whenever I make it for friends they seem to love it.
It is extremely filling as well as being suitable for vegans, vegetarians and it’s wheat and gluten-free.
Ingredients (about 3 large servings):
- 2x Handfuls of organic red lentils (sprouting optional)
- 2x Sticks of organic celery (roughly chopped)
- 4x Large organic carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1x Red onion (roughly chopped)
- 2x Cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2x tbsp Bouillon powder (reduced salt)
- 600ml boiling water
- 1x Bouquet garni
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- A squeeze of lemon
- 1x tbsp Olive oil (for frying)
- Pepper for seasoning
- Chili flakes to garnish (optional)
1) Boil some water and measure out 600ml.
2) Heat the oil in a large pan and add the carrots, onion and celery. Fry for about 7-10 minutes on a medium heat until everything has softened.
3) Pour in the lentils and crushed garlic and mix well. Cook for about 1 more minute.
4) Add the boiling water, bouillon powder and bouquet-garni and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 35-45 minutes.
5) Once it’s ready pour or spoon the mix into your blender. Add the pepper, cumin and a dash of lemon juice and blend on full power for a few minutes until it looks smooth, thick and creamy.
6) Garnish with a few chilli flakes or any fresh herbs you may have.