As someone who can’t eat gluten, it feels like such a hardship that I can’t even eat burgers as they always use wheat flour! So as a Friday night treat, my boyfriend and I decided to make our own at home..
Ingredients (makes 3 large burgers):
- 250g Lean mince (organic if possible)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain mustard (or any other mustard)
- 1 Small onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp Cornflour (or any other flour would work as this just helps to dry it out a bit)
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Oil for cooking (1 tsp)
1) Put everything together in a bowl and mix together with your hands, ensuring that the mince mixture becomes as smooth and combined as possible (or get someone else to do it for you 🙂 )
2) Divide the mixture into 3 portions and mould into patties.
3) Place these on a plate in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow them to ‘set’ and absorb the flavours.
4) Heat the pan with the oil, then place all 3 burgers in the pan. Cook for around 5-6 minutes on each side, depending on how well done you like them.
5) Serve with lettuce as a wrap around the burger or a gluten-free burger bun 🙂
6) To make the burger even better we had homemade salsa (blended cherry tomatoes, garlic clove and green chilli) and avocado dip (avocado mashed with a garlic clove and chilli flakes), light sour cream and a slither of Grand Padano cheese.
7) Best served with homemade chips and a nice glass of red wine…