Written By Gracie
These are seriously yummy and suitable for people that are vegan, gluten-free, on the plantbased and paleo diet (if you’re not being super strict) and those wanting delicious food that’s guilt-free and refined sugar free.
They are very moist due to the bananas and the frosting has a mix of sharpness (from the lemon juice) and sweetness (from the maple syrup). If you’re not a fan of things too sweet then I wouldn’t bother with the frosting topping, the muffin is just as delicious on it’s own. Alternatively you could reduce the amount of maple syrup by swapping half of it for almond milk.
Ingredients (Makes 8-10 muffins)
The Lemon Muffins:
- 3x medium bananas (very ripe and mashed)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 60g sultanas (soaked in boiling water for 5 mins then drained and dried)
- 110g ground almonds
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 65g coconut sugar
- 1x tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1x tbsp. maple syrup
The Lemon Drizzle Frosting:
- 30g Cashew nuts
- 2x tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 1/2 x tsp maple syrup
Pre Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (fan).
NB: Need muffin cases and blender
1) Soak the sultanas in boiling water and in a separate bowl mash the bananas
2) While the sultanas are soaking pop all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl (mashed bananas, lemon zest, ground almonds, buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract and maple syrup) and mix well.
3) Drain the sultanas and pat them dry then add them to the wet. Mix well until everything has combined.
4) Evenly spoon the mixture into muffin cases (I filled mine so the mix almost reaches the top of the case) and pop them in the pre heated oven for 30 mins.
****While the batter is baking start on the lemon drizzle****
5) Pour the cashews, lemon juice and maple syrup into a bender (alternatively you can use a hand-held) and blend until the cashews have broken down and a sort of paste has formed.
6) Once the muffins are cooked take them out and place them on a cooling rack.
7) Once they have cooled down completely evenly spoon the lemon drizzle frosting on the top of each muffin and use the back of the spoon to spread it.
****Make sure you wait for them to cool completely before eating them or frosting them. If you eat them before they have cooled the texture will feel like uncooked cake batter. You need to allow them to cool to firm up****