Madeleine Shaw is a nutritional health coach, author and social media sensation. Madeleine educates people through her blog, books and private coaching about how to #GetTheGlow through the way we eat. Her food philosophy is all about enlivening the hottest, happiest and healthiest you. It’s about keeping things simple and delicious so you don’t feel bored or deprived.
Madeleine believes that food is the most powerful drug; it informs not just how we look but how we feel and think too. Her philosophy stems from her desire to educate people about this – and to show how healthy food can be delicious, nutritious, affordable and simple to make.
Madeline literally does glow so we wanted to find out more about her lifestyle and day to day routine. She has also included some amazing Easter recipes, which are linked at the end.
1) What are your top 3 tips to get the glow?
1. drink more water – at least 2 litres a day. It will make your skin glow and you’ll feel more awake!
2. Pack your plate with veggies – as many as you can! Veggies are full of essential skin-glowing vitamins and nutrients.
3. Move everyday – incorporate some form of movement into your day even if it’s just a walk, something fun like rock climbing, or dancing!
2) What is your go-to dinner party recipe for vegans/vegetarians who aren’t used to eating that way? And what is your no.1 dinner party recipe choice for you?
The sweet potato and courgette lasagne recipe from my website is a really popular with everyone! I think people love it so much because they don’t notice that it’s just vegetables. It’s filling and really saucy. I tend to swap it up quite a lot but I love making a few dishes to tuck into. I’ll cook up a big bit of meat, like healthy slow roast lamb with salsa verde, peas and butter lettuce. My chickpeas, green beans, broccoli and pesto bowl is a great side, along with my shaved brussels sprouts, pomegranate and maple-roasted.
3) What is your weekly fitness routine?
I love classes. I’ll try and fit in a class in or a Glow Guides workout most days. I love to start my morning off with yoga, or I’ll head Psycle – I’m kind of obsessed with their spin classes at the moment. My Glow Guides workouts are lead by my best friend Shona Vertue who is an amazing personal trainer – she really helps you to get that booty burn. It’s an 8 week holistic transformational programme that will help you transform both your mind and body.
4) How do you stay healthy when you’re eating out/at a friend’s house without feeling awkward or seeming rude?
I usually just eat what I’m given, I think it’s always kind of someone to make you dinner and one unhealthy meal won’t hurt you.
5) What is your favourite on the go snack?
I love making energy balls or taking hummus and crudites out with me. There are lots of healthy snacks you can pick up on the go nowadays which are free from refined sugar, gluten and dairy!
6) You are a busy lady so how do you find the time to relax and unwind?
I turn my phone off at 6pm. Not only does it help me sleep better but I need my evenings to eat dinner and relax with my boyfriend.
7) Do you ever have ‘cheat’ days and if so what kind of food would you ‘cheat’ with?
We all have weak moments, but I don’t like to think of indulging as ‘cheating’. Life is all about balance and you should never make yourself feel guilty for having a little bit of what you fancy. I’m a massive chocolate fiend…I love really rich good quality chocolate and I could eat a whole bar so I tend not to keep it in the house! I also love granola, so at the weekend I’ll make up a big batch to snack on as a treat if I feel like I need it.
8) What inspired you to pursue a career in the health and wellness industry?
It was when I decided to clean up my own diet. I lived in Australia and started working in an organic cafe. I learnt how to prepare and cook healthy, wholesome foods. I wanted to know more so took an online course at IIN to become a holistic health coach, came back to the UK and set up my blog. It all spiralled from there!
9) What is your favourite Easter Recipe?
I’ve just uploaded an amazing hot cross muffin recipe on my website, along with raw chocolate bark for Easter. You should go check it out…they’re so tasty and are gluten-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free!