Written By Gracie
This isn’t too different from normal paella other than having swapped the paella rice to quinoa and the chicken to turkey etc. I have also made sure I’ve used the best ingredients.
This dish is incredibly delicious and full of protein and vitamins as well as being very filling!
My version makes a lot of paella, about 4 large servings so if you aren’t cooking for others then either half the ingredients or make the whole lot and keep it in the fridge for lunches and dinners later in the week.
In the photo of all the ingredients, you can see that I have given the option of using bulgur and quinoa or barley. Barley takes a lot longer to cook so if you decide to use this then cook it separately for the time it suggests then add it to the other ingredients once it’s ready so you don’t over cook the turkey.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 440g Turkey breast (Diced into medium-sized chunks)
- 200g Chorizo (Sliced into think rounds)
- 180g Quinoa (Make sure it is washed thoroughly)
- 2x red peppers (finely sliced)
- 2x Garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1x large red onion (Finely sliced)
- 80g Sundried tomatoes (Get the ones in oil not the dried ones. Finely slice them and save a couple for garnish).
- 2 x cups frozen peas
- 1 x tsp Mediterranean mixed herbs
- 1 Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 tsp Hot smoked paprika (or normal if you don’t like spice).
- 600ml Boiling water
- 2 x tbsp reduced salt vegetable bouillon powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 x tbsp olive oil (for frying)
1) Boil the kettle and measure out the water. Add the bouillon powder to the water and let it dissolve.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large wok style pan Add the onion, chorizo, turkey and red pepper and fry for about 7-10 mins until the vegetables are soft and the meat is slightly cooked.
3) Add the garlic, herbs, paprika, saffron and sundried tomatoes and mix together for about 1 more minute
4) Add the bouillon stock water and quinoa and stir everything together. Cook for about 10 minutes and then add the peas and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the quinoa and turkey is cooked through.
5) Spoon however many portions you want into serving bowls and garnish each with a sprinkle of sundried tomatoes.
NB: If you are saving some for other days then wait for it to cool down, cover with cling film or in tupperware and store in the fridge.