Written By Gracie
I’m a huge fan of beans on toast/jacket potato so wanted to come up with a healthy rustic alternative. This recipe is full of fibre and is vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free but if you want to bulk the dish up then feel free to add some chicken or meat of your choice.
This recipe makes about 4-5 servings.
- 400g x Can of butter beans
- 400g x Can of cannellini beans
- 500g x Passata
- 2 x Tbsp of sundried tomato paste (you can buy this in supermarkets or make it yourself. To make it yourself get a jar of sundried tomatoes that have been in oil, drain the oil and pop a tbsp of the tomatoes into a blender then blend!)
- 100 x ml Water
- 1 x Levelled Tsp smoked paprika
- 1 x levelled Tsp bouillon powder
- 1 x Levelled Tsp balsamic vinegar (use a good quality one)
- 1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
- Generous pinch of Himalayan salt and pepper
1) Pop all the ingredients (EXCEPT the butter beans and cannellini beans) into a heavy large pan and bring to the boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and allow to bubble away for about 20 minutes, mixing occasionally.
2) Once the 20 minutes is up, drain and wash the beans and add both cans to the tomato sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
3) They are now ready to eat so enjoy on a slice of toast or poured on top of a sweet potato with a side of salad leaves.