This is delicious, fresh, vegetarian and most importantly SO easy to make. It’s freezable too so good to make a big portion then have leftovers for another time.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 3 aubergines
- 680g jar passata
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- large bunch/pack basil, torn
- 150-200g Mozzarella (torn up)
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs (We used ½ a gluten-free Schar roll and just blitzed the whole thing in the nutribullet but you can use any sort of bread for this or pre-made breadcrumbs)
- Olive oil
Heat the oven to 180 °c.
1) Cut the aubergines into 1cm thick slices, then rub in olive oil both sides (we used a spray which made it really easy), then grill for around 3-4 minutes on each side. They don’t need to be soft at this point, just so that they’ve started to cook slightly.
2) Whilst that’s going on, heat a little bit of oil in a pan, then once hot fry the onion, garlic and about ½ the torn basil. Once the onions have started to soften (after about 5 minutes) add the passata, let this simmer for 5-10 minutes.
3) With a heat-proof dish (we used one that we use for shepherds pies, lasagnes etc) start to bring all the ingredients together.
4) The first layer is the aubergines…layer them at the bottom of the dish (you can cut some up to fit into gaps if you need to). The second layer is around half the passata sauce spread evenly over the aubergine layer, and the third layer is made up by scattering about half the mozerella and ½ the remaining basil leaves on top.
5) Repeat that again, and then top with a mixture of the breadcrumbs and parmesan.
6) Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes. Once out, it needs to rest / cool down for at least 15 minute before serving.
*Serve with garlic bread or extra veggies.