Written by Sophie (who went with Gracie)
We met Adria at a Well to do London event recently where her lovely company Maple & Fitz were catering. The food we tried was delicious so we were keen to go down to the cafe in Fitzrovia and try more!
The concept of Maple & Fitz is so similar to what us Squirrel Sisters strive for….making healthy taste great. Like us, Adria won’t settle for anything that doesn’t taste good even if it is healthy, and the great things is that all the delicious food at her cafe is healthy anyway! Adria is a trained chef (Le Cordon Bleu) so you can have full faith that she has taste at the forefront of her recipes, but as a fitness and health enthusiast, there is the added bonus that all her food is all full of goodness and you will leave feeling great.
The location is great, it’s really in Fitzrovia (nearest tube is Oxford Circus) and although it’s very central, it didn’t feel like a hectic area to be in. Plus with all of the other independent cafes and eateries nearby, it had a real neighbourhood feeling.
The first thing that hit us when we entered M&F was the smell of granola! It was a delicious homely smell, which wasn’t too overpowering and just made us even more excited about what we were about to try. The cafe is small but bright, so feels very open and welcoming.
There is a fridge full of cold-pressed juices (all made on-site), then a counter which is usually filled with salads, but was full of cakes by the time we got there at 3pm. The girls who work at M&F are lovely – really cheerful and friendly, so although it’s a very trendy area you don’t feel intimidated at all.
Downstairs is a really cosy and more intimate place that you can go and eat your lunch…it is really nicely decorated with maple-stained tables and soon there will be a bit photo wall with images of the local area. There is also an area outside which Adria is planning on revamping and has a lot of potential!
On to food…we tried:
- Chocolate Brownies with Salted Caramel Swirl – everything you would want from a brownie! Gooey on the inside, crisp on the outside…just delicious!
- Everything Cookies – these were our absolute favourite! They are melt-in-the-mouth and just so delicious.
- Raw bites – these are great for post-workout as they’re full of dates and nuts, but with a really smooth texture.
- Granola – this lived up to the delicious smell of it cooking when we initially walked into the cafe. You can really tell how good the quality of the ingredients are in here and the toasted hazelnuts really make it feel a bit more indulgent despite being full of goodness.
- Julius Caesar – the perfect alternative to a caesar salad, for those who are craving the creaminess without the naughtiness.
- Buckwheat noodles – so tasty and filling. Asian flavours without being too overpowering.
- Kale Digest Juice – tasted very healthy as the majority of ingredients are vegetables, but the addition of a green apple definitely helps to take the edge off. Plus it made me feel great!
- Carrot Bunny Juice – this tastes like something you’d be given at a spa…so good, warming, delicious and apparently very good for digestion!
At the end of all that sampling, we would definitely recommend Maple & Fitz and can’t wait to go back again and try more things! We will add to the list as we sample more of the menu.
Also wanted to add that they have wifi so is a great place to work up in the cafe area where you can get distracted by people watching 🙂
For more info, have a look at their website: http://mapleandfitz.com/ They also do corporate events and cater for office lunches too..