These are so easy so perfect for a mid-week meal or when you’re cooking for friends.
Ingredients (serves between 3-4)
- 2 x cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 tsbp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
Red Onion relish
- 2 x red onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Taco shells or wraps (around 3-4 per person depending on how hungry you are)
- Guacamole (I just mashed up an avocado with some lemon juice, salt & pepper)
- Coconut Yoghurt (or sour cream if you’re not vegan)
Vegan Cheese (or normal if not vegan)
- Salsa (this Jamie Oliver recipe is great, but otherwise good quality shop bought is fine)
1) Prepare the red onions. You just cover the sliced onions with boiling water and leave for about 10 minutes, then drain well and mix in the apple cider vinegar and sugar. The sugar will dissolve in the mix (give it a good stir before serving with everything else).
2) Onto the beans…. First heat up the oil and once hot start to cook the garlic. After a few minutes when its starting to brown and you can smell it (in a good way) tip in the beans, vinegar, syrup and spices.
3) Stir well as the beans cook and try to crush them down a bit with a spatula so that you get a good mix of textures throughout. If they dry out and you want to cook them for longer then add a little bit of boiling water.
That is it!! You’re ready to serve with all the other accompaniments.
If you have any leftovers, the beans are great in a salad or wrap with the other bits.