Written by Sophie
Its Cinco de Mayo and the best way to celebrate is with Huevos Rancheros the famous Mexican breakfast dish….
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3-4 shallots
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tbsp. chilli flakes
- 2 red peppers
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 x eggs
To Serve (all optional)
- Guacamole (1 x avocado, 1 tbsp lemon juice (about ½ lemon) & 1 x clove of garlic blended together)
- Chilli flakes
- Sauteed spinach
- Sourdough or gf tortillas
- Fresh coriander
- Pan fry the shallots, garlic & pepper
- Add the spices and make sure they’re well distributed and then add the chopped tomatoes & 100ml water
- Season & leave to simmer for around 10 minutes
- Whilst you wait make the guacamole – wizz up all the ingredients in a blender eg. Nutrininja.
- Once the 10 mins is up make 4 wells in the tomato sauce and crack 1 egg in each well.
- Cover the pan with a lid to poach the eggs (for around 4-5 minutes depending on how runny you like them).
- Scatter with coriander, a few extra chilli flakes and serve with the guacamole, spinach & tortillas (or gluten-free bread).