Hannah Alderson has been experimenting in the kitchen with our cacao orange bars, a favourite Christmas flavour. She has come up with an amazing Christmas Recipe: ‘Christmas Squirrel Truffles’ and here’s how she created them…
Guest Blogger: Hannah Alderson (Spoonful Of Me)
They were Squirrel Sisters cacao orange bars: to begin with…
It’s the season of getting together, so the fabulous Squirrel Sisters asked me to develop a tasty Christmas recipe for them using their delicious cacao orange bar. And here it is. These little truffles are the perfect accompaniment for festive dinner parties, an afternoon tipple or first thing before breakfast – because who cares when it’s Christmas. Enjoy.
- 4 x 20g Squirrel Sisters Cacao orange bars
- 200g dark chocolate above 70%
- 300ml full fat coconut milk
- 12 crushed walnuts
- 11/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 medium orange
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- a sprinkle of desiccated coconut (optional garnish)
1. In a high powered blender add the coconut milk, Squirrel Sisters bars and cinnamon then blend until a smooth liquid.
2. In a glass bowl break up all the chocolate into small pieces. Place the glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to gently melt the chocolate.
3. Once melted take the glass bowl off the heat and stir in the coconut liquid bit by bit with a wooden spoon until all the mixture is added.
4. Grate 1/2 of the orange over the bowl, so that the zest goes into the mixture – be sure to use the zesting side of your greater. Finally add half of your crushed walnuts into mixture, mix well, cover and then pop the in the fridge over night.
5. Once set you can now make your truffle balls. On a flat plate sprinkle the cacao powder, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and the rest of your walnuts. Mix together well to make your dusting powder – you’re going to roll your truffle balls in this as an outer coating.
6. Using a small spoon or melon ball scoop then spoon out a ferrero rocher sized amount and gently manipulate this into a ball using the palm of your hands. Roll in the dusting mixture and place on a fancy plate for serving.
7. Repeat this until you have made all your tasty treats, grate the rest of the orange zest as a garnish and then sprinkle with desiccated coconut. Best served with Champagne.
N.B. Keep in the fridge until served, for up to 3 days.