Written By Gracie
This isn’t as guilt-free as some of our recipes because it does involve a lot of parmesan! However… it is gluten-free, vegetarian, delicious and great as a dinner party starter/main (depending on how hungry your guests are).
It’s sliced courgette/zucchini stacked with a basil and cashew cream (which is very similar to pesto) and parmesan cheese, inspired by the delicious ‘Melanzane alla Parmigiana’ that I had as a starter at ‘La Famiglia’ a fantastic restaurant in Chelsea, London.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 2 x Courgettes/Zucchini (around 500g)
- 40g x Fresh parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
Basil & Cashew Cream
- 40g x Cashews
- 25g x Fresh basil
- 1 x Garlic clove
- 3 x Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Himalayan salt & black pepper (generous pinch)
1) Start by making the basil & cashew cream; Put all the ingredients into a blender or use a hand-held and whizz until smooth. Then grate the parmesan into a bowl.
2) Wash the courgette/zucchini and cut in half then cut lengthways into slices for staking
3) Cover a baking tray in tin foil then start the stacking. Place two slices next to each other, then spread on a bit of the pesto
4) Then sprinkle over some cheese.
5) Repeat this until the first courgette/zucchini has been used up. With the top layer put a bit more pesto and a larger sprinkle of cheese.
6) Do exactly the same for the second stack (and for any more you are making).
7) Grate some more black pepper over the stacks and drizzle over a tiny but more olive oil then pop in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes at 180 degrees C until the cheese has melted, the top is golden brown and the veg is cooked through.