It’s national pizza day on Friday 9th February (as if we need another excuse to enjoy pizza) so we’ve created the simplest recipe for you so you can have all your friends over and still enjoy spending time socialising rather than being stuck in the kitchen.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Olive oil for frying
- One large aubergine diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 large red pepper diced
- 4 tinned plum tomatoes chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 8-10 chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tsp of raisins flame & golden
- 2 tsps of capers
- 2 tsps of pine nuts or flaked almonds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 pitta breads gluten free (we used be-free gluten free pittas)
- Get all of your ingredients together, and get a large sized frying pan on the hob.
- Peel and dice the onion, celery aubergine and pepper. Fry gently in olive oil for 10 minutes until they all begin to soften. Add the raisins
- Add the tomatoes and a little tomato juice from the can and cook for 15 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the lemon juice and add the capers
- Heat the pittas in a toaster or under the grill. If you want really crispy bases once heated slice them in half and toast again on the inside only.
- Rub the pittas with the clove of garlic and pile on the caponata.
- Dot with whole olives and chopped basil and serve.
N.B Left over caponata is just as good cold serve as a side or as a salad!