To celebrate the fact that Wimbledon has started we thought we would share a classically British recipe from our cookbook Naturally Delicious Snacks & Treats. A British classic with a unique twist….
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries with Basil Sugar
Basil and strawberry is a classic combo. We’ve used stevia instead of sugar and coated them in dark chocolate, to make a healthy but indulgent treat. If you like, you can pop them on lolly sticks for a bit of fun!
Ingredients- Serves 2
- 6 large basil leaves
- 2 tsp granulated stevia
- 50g/1.oz dark (bittersweet) chocolate
- 200g/7oz strawberries, leaves and stalks left on
1) Put the basil leaves in a mortar with 1 tsp of the stevia. Pound with a pestle until the basil is completely ground to a paste with the stevia. Stir in the remaining stevia. Spread out on a plate and leave somewhere warm for a couple of hours to dry out a little – it doesn’t need to be completely dry, just enough to make a coarse crumble when you rub it between your fingertips, which you will be able to sprinkle.
2) Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, ensuring that the bottom of the bowl isn’t touching the water. Once melted, remove from the heat and leave to cool and thicken a little. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
3) Using the stalks, dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate until half-coated.
4) Whilst the chocolate is still tacky, sprinkle a little of the basil sugar over each strawberry. Leave to set completely before serving.