Sausage & pasta bake is such good comfort food, and is so easy to make! This one is full of veg and flavour, so as well as being delicious its also full of goodness to help you fight those winter colds.
We used veggie sausages and gluten-free brown rice pasta as they’re our favourites but you could easily experiment with different pastas or veggies in this bake as well, which makes it a great way to use up veg that is nearly past its best and things that are already in your cupboard!
Ingredients (serves 4-5):
- 300g Brown Rice Pasta (Fueslli)
- Veggie Sausages x 6
- 2 x peppers (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 x leek (chopped into ½cm pieces)
- 200g button mushrooms (halfed)
- 2 x cans cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 x pieces of GF bread, toasted
- 1 x garlic clove, crushed
- 50g grated cheddar
- 2 tbsp parmesan (optional for cheese lovers)
- salt & pepper
1) Put the sausages under the grill and follow instructions depending on the sausages you’ve bought. Don’t forget to turn them half way through.
2) In the meantime, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil, then add the crushed garlic cloves and cook for about ½ minute then add the cans of cherry tomatoes. Once these have started to simmer, add the mixed herbs. You want this to reduce slightly so keep it on a high simmer whilst you do the other bits.
**Start to preheat the over to around 200 degrees fan**
3) Boil some water and start to cook the brown rice pasta for around 4-5 minutes so that it is ‘al-dente’. Once ready drain and put into the dish you’re using to cook the bake.
4) Once the sausages have cooked, chop them up into 1cm long pieces (or chunkier if you prefer), then add them to the pasta.
5) Pour over the sauce and add the veg and mix well. You can always do smaller portion bakes if you prefer as well (I sometimes make one big one and a couple to freeze).
6) To make the topping, put the toast in a food processor and blitz until it resembles breadcrumbs then mix with the garlic, cheddar, salt & pepper.
7) Sprinkle the topping over the pasta bake and then add the parmesan on top of that if you want extra cheese….
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden and crispy!